Membership in the IDESG shall be open to organizations and individuals that have an interest in the development of the Identity Ecosystem. A Member organization may have more than one individual within its organization participate in IDESG activities; however, it shall designate only one individual as its representative for the purposes of voting in Plenary proceedings. A Member shall join as a Voting or Non-Voting Member as set forth in the Rules of Association.
1. Membership and Other Levels of Participation.
Membership in the IDESG shall be open and the extent of participation shall be voluntary. Membership in the IDESG shall be open to organizations and individuals that have an interest in the development and administration of the Identity Ecosystem and are able to execute the required Membership Agreement. Membership classifications, participation levels and member categories are described in the sections that follow. The complete list of Members shall be available to the public, along with their disclosure of their Stakeholder Category.
1.1. Membership Agreement.
- 1.1.1 Adoption of Agreement by the Plenary. The Plenary shall adopt a form of Membership Agreement which shall be used and signed by all IDESG members. The form of the agreement may be amended from time to time by the Plenary; however, those amendments shall not be retroactively effective against existing members unless an amended form of Agreement is executed by the Member.
- 1.1.2 Execution of Membership Agreement. Requisite to Membership. To become a member, an Individual or Organizational Member shall complete and execute the Steering Group Membership Agreement, signifying the adherence of the Member to the Primary Activities of the IDESG as set forth in these Rules. The completed and executed Membership Agreement and a Membership Roster shall be sent to the Secretariat who shall collect and record the Membership Agreements and publish the Member name and Affiliated Stakeholder Category to the public list.
There are two classes of membership – Organizational Members and Individual Members as set forth in this section. A person representing or acting on behalf of an Organizational Member in any formal or informal capacity within the IDESG are considered acting as a representative of the interests or acting on behalf or at the behest of such Organizational Member and shall not be treated as or considered for membership as an Individual Member. Each Member shall elect to participate in the Plenary as either a Voting Member or a Non-Voting Member.
- 1.2.1 Membership Types.
- 184.108.40.206 Voting Members. Voting Members shall be members that actively participate in the IDESG and the work of the Plenary and its Committees. Voting Members shall have a vote in Plenary-wide proceedings and in the elections of officers and delegates. Voting Members may self-select into one of the defined Stakeholder Categories.
- 220.127.116.11 Non-Voting Members. Non-Voting Members shall be members that do not meet the criteria for Voting Members or chose not to become voting member, but that actively participate in the IDESG and the work of the Plenary and its Committees. Non-Voting Members may contribute to the work of the Plenary and its Committees but shall not be permitted to vote in Plenary-wide proceedings and in the elections of officers and delegates. Non-Voting Members are not required, but may choose to, self-select into one of the defined Stakeholder Categories.
- 1.2.2 Organizational Members.
- 18.104.22.168 General Terms. An Organization (may join the IDESG and shall, if a Voting Member, be permitted to join any one of the Stakeholder Categories.
- 22.214.171.124 Member Representatives. Each Organizational Member shall designate one person as its Member Representative, in accord with its own selection process. No person shall represent more than one Organizational Member. Each Organizational Member is authorized to designate, in writing to the Secretariat, alternate Member Representatives who may act on their behalf in the absence of the Member Representative.
- 126.96.36.199 Member Associates. Each Organizational Member may have multiple Member Associates who shall be authorized to participate in Committee Decision Making procedures on behalf of the Member in the absence of the Voting Representative; however, each Organizational Member shall be entitled to only one voting representative in the deliberations of a Committee.
- 1.2.3 Individual Members.
- An individual shall be permitted to join the IDESG under the terms set forth in §1.1 and may join as either a Voting or Non-Voting Member. If joining as a Voting Member, an individual may choose to identify with one of the Stakeholder Categories. Individual Members shall not represent the interests or act on behalf or at the behest of an Organization. Individual Members regardless of their employment status shall, at all times, act on their own behalf, solely represent themselves and not represent the interests of any Organization, including their employer; however, this provision does not prohibit an Individual Member from being employed by an Organizational Member. Individual Non-voting Members shall enjoy the pertinent Rights and Responsibilities found in §§1.3.1 and 1.3.2.
1.3. Member Rights and Responsibilities.
- 1.3.1. Rights of Members. All Members shall have the right to:
- 188.8.131.52. Participate as Members for as long as they meet the requirements of membership.
- 184.108.40.206. Submit proposed requirements for the Identity Ecosystem Framework.
- 220.127.116.11. Participate in the Plenary process and establish the overall direction of the Plenary through active participation in Committees of the Plenary, or other entities established as needed to address specific issues.
- 18.104.22.168. Participate in the Consensus decision-making process.
- 1.3.2. Responsibilities of Members. Members shall have the responsibility to abide by the Membership Agreement and comply with these Rules.
- 1.3.3. Additional Rights of Voting Members. Voting Members shall have the right to:
- 22.214.171.124. Vote in IDESG elections in accordance with these Rules.
- 126.96.36.199. Vote on proposed Plenary standards, policies, and procedures in accordance with these Rules.
- 188.8.131.52. Stand for nomination for Management Council Delegate, At-Large Delegate, and Plenary Chair and Vice-Chair and Management Council Chair (and on or after September 1, 2014, the Management Council Vice Chair) positions.
- 1.3.4. Additional Responsibilities of Voting Members. Voting Members shall have the responsibility to:
- 184.108.40.206. Participate in Plenary meetings.
- 220.127.116.11. Review Plenary documents.
- 18.104.22.168. Ensure that their attendance is accurately recorded by the Secretariat.
1.4. Changes in Membership Status.
Changes in a member’s status are described in the sections that follow.
- 1.4.1. Withdrawal of Membership. Members may voluntarily withdraw from the IDESG or change their voting status at any time by stating their intention in writing to the Secretariat subject to the applicable rules herein.
- 1.4.2. Administrative Modification of Membership. Any change in legal status of members shall result in the appropriate modification or termination of their membership. Situations that may result in the modification of membership include, but are not limited to:
- 22.214.171.124. Dissolution of an Organizational Member.
- 126.96.36.199. Acquisition or divestiture of one Organizational Member by another Organizational Member.
- 188.8.131.52. Change in employment status or affiliation of any individual.
1.5. Other Participants in the Steering Group: General Public and Liaison Relationships.
Participation and attendance by members of the public in meetings of the IDESG may be permitted. The Management Council may enter into liaison or other agreements on behalf of the IDESG, with other organizations and entities; provided, however, that none of the foregoing arrangements or agreements shall violate these Rules, or the policies of the IDESG, including IPR Policy/ies.